Updated: October 27, 2021
In the event of inclement weather, Manassas Park City Schools need to be prepared for different scenarios to modify/cancel the school day. When, in the judgment of the Superintendent/designee, conditions exist which are hazardous to the health and safety of students and employees, the Superintendent/designee may call one of the following:
- Two-Hour Delay
- Schools Closed- 12 month employees report
- Division Closed
- Early Release
- Any other action necessary to safeguard the health and safety of students and employees.
The decision to close schools for an entire day or to delay school openings will be made as early as possible prior to scheduled starting times. Except in unusual circumstances demanding emergency measures, the decision will be made prior to 5:30 a.m. on the morning of a closing or delay in opening, so that the information can be broadcast on the news media prior to 6:00 a.m.
Two-Hour Delayed Opening
- Elementary, intermediate, middle and high school students arrive two hours late.
- Morning buses will be two hours late. Students will use regular bus stops unless noted otherwise.
- Field trips may be canceled pending weather conditions.
- Athletic trips may be approved by Superintendent/designee and Director of Transportation on a case-by-case basis pending assessment of road conditions and weather predictions.
- Lunch will be served at all schools.
When schools are closed early because of emergency conditions:
- Students will be dismissed early as determined by the Superintendent/designee.
- Lunch will be served unless notified otherwise by the Superintendent/designee.
Code GOLD- Schools Closed- 12 month employees report
All classes and school activities (day and evening), including recreational programs are canceled. School buses will not operate. Rare exceptions may be made for important activities that cannot be rescheduled. All exceptions will be approved by the Superintendent/designee.
*12 month employees report 2 hours late
Code RED- School Division Closed
All classes and school activities (day and evening), including recreational programs are canceled. The school system is closed down.
Manassas Park City Schools will use the phone call system, email system, website, social media, and the media to inform parents and employees of weather-related closings and delayed school openings. It is our goal to notify the public by 6 a.m.
Listed below are the television and radio stations we will contact with school closings, delayed openings and early dismissal information.
NEWS 4 NBC – TV 4 WMZQ 98.7 FM Radio HOT 99.5 FM Radio
WTTG/FOX 5 – TV 5 WMAL 630 AM Radio BIG 100.3 FM Radio
WJLA/ABC 7 – TV 7 WASH 97.1 FM Radio WPGC 95.5 AM/FM Radio
NEWS CHANNEL 8 – TV 8 DC 101 FM Radio WTOP 103.5 FM / 103.9 FM & 107.7 FM
WUSA – TV 9