NOTIFICATION OF LEARNING OBJECTIVES
I. Annual Notice
At the beginning of each school year, each school within the Manassas Park City Schools School Division provides to its students’ parents or guardians information on the availability of and source for receiving:
- the learning objectives developed in accordance with the Standards of Accreditation to be achieved at their child’s grade level, or, in high school, a copy of the syllabus for each of their child’s courses;
- the Standards of Learning (SOLs) applicable to the child’s grade or course requirements and the approximate date and potential impact of the child’s next SOL testing;
- an annual notice to students in all grade levels of all requirements for Board of Education-approved diplomas; and
- the board’s policies on promotion, retention and remediation.
The superintendent certifies to the Department of Education that the notice required by this policy has been given.
II. Notice of Credits Needed for Graduation and of the Right to a Free Public Education
- The school board notifies the parents of rising eleventh and twelfth grade students of the requirements for graduation pursuant to the standards for accreditation and the requirements that have yet to be completed by the individual student.
- The school board notifies the parent of students with disabilities who have an Individualized Education Program (IEP) and who fail to meet the graduation requirements of the student's right to a free and appropriate education to age 21, inclusive, pursuant to Va. Code § 22.1-213 et seq.
- The school board notifies the parent of students who fail to graduate or who fail to achieve graduation requirements as provided in the Standards of Accreditation and who have not reached 20 years of age on or before August 1st of the school year of the right to a free public education. If the student who does not graduate or complete such requirements is a student for whom English is a second language, the school board notifies the parent of the student's opportunity for a free public education in accordance with Va. Code § 22.1-5.
Amended: May 20, 2019
Legal Refs.: Code of Virginia, 1950, as amended, § 22.1-253.13:4. 8 VAC 20-131-270.
IGBC Parental Involvement
IKF The Virginia Assessment Program and Graduation Requirements
© 2/19 VSBA